Normal PrecautionsHeavy Penalties
The Taiwanese don’t mess around, and criminal punishment can be severe. Drug possession can mean arrest, but drug smuggling can mean the death penalty. Other illegal offenses include adultery, verbal or gestured insults, libel and slander.
Keep an eye on weather alerts as Taiwan’s heavy rain, earthquakes and typhoons can set off a chain of disastrous events, including flooding and landslides.
Be a Savvy Traveler
- Stay aware of your surroundings, especially at night or in the dark.
- Keep your belongings near you, especially on public transport, at stations and terminals, at outdoor cafes and in any crowded area.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or carrying large amounts of cash.
- Be on alert if a stranger strikes up an unprompted conversation or otherwise tries to distract you.
- Try not to use ATMs at night.
- Take only registered taxis and other transportation. It’s a good idea to take a photo of the cab number in case there’s an issue or if you leave something in the cab.