Normal PrecautionsFrench Guiana can be a safe destination, but it does face issues such as drug trafficking and other crimes.
Avoid traveling at night, and instead call a cab to take you where you need to go. Stay especially on alert in both larger towns and in remote areas.
Be prepared to be stopped and possibly searched at customs roadblocks.
Be a Savvy Traveler
- Stay aware of your surroundings, especially at night or in the dark.
- Keep your belongings near you, especially on public transport, at stations and terminals, at outdoor cafes and in any crowded area.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or carrying large amounts of cash.
- Be on alert if a stranger strikes up an unprompted conversation or otherwise tries to distract you.
- Try not to use ATMs at night.
- Take only registered taxis and other transportation. It’s a good idea to take a photo of the cab number in case there’s an issue or if you leave something in the cab.