Normal PrecautionsCanada is a relatively safe destination, with low crime rate, well-maintained roads, a high standard of health care and a stable government.
Be a Savvy Traveler
- Stay aware of your surroundings, especially at night or in the dark.
- Keep your belongings near you, especially on public transport, at stations and terminals, at outdoor cafes and in any crowded area.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry or carrying large amounts of cash.
- Be on alert if a stranger strikes up an unprompted conversation or otherwise tries to distract you.
- Try not to use ATMs at night.
- Take only registered taxis and other transportation. It’s a good idea to take a photo of the cab number in case there’s an issue or if you leave something in the cab.